127 Years Ago
A serious conflagration was narrowly averted last Sunday evening when Frank Palmer discovered flames issuing from the roof of the Cambria brick works and rang the alarm. The Excelsior Hose Company made a lightning run to the fire and succeeded in quenching it before any damage was done. As there has been no fire in the building for a long time and no wind was blowing to carry sparks, it is supposed that it was the work of an incendiary. The fire boys deserve the praise of the owners of the property for the quick and effective work done.
Colorado Transcript - March 22, 1899

Cambria brick works was an early ceramics manufacturer, located on East Street, between 12th and 13th. That property is now part of Coors' shipping facilities.

According to the October 10, 1907 Colorado Transcript, the plant was built in the 1870s and was torn down in October of 1907. The building materials (lumber, brick, and stone) were taken away for reuse elsewhere.
You may recognize the name "Cambria" from the Cambria Lime Kiln, still located in the Kinney Run Open Space. Lime produced at that kiln was carried back to the brick works by a rail line that connected the two operations.

The Excelsior Hose Company was part of the fire department, based in the fire station on 12th Street. The 3-1/2 block distance from the firehouse to the fire was mercifully short, since the firemen hand-pulled their hose cart at that time.
Fire Department pulling a hose cart during an Inspection Day parade – Golden History Museum collection – enlarge