Skip to content

Search the site

Early photo of the Oasis Service Station, 24th and East St. Notice the old-fashioned gas pump: the operator would pump gasoline into the measured glass section on top, then let it flow down by gravity into the car.- Golden History Museum Collection


The Oasis Service Station was built at 2321 East Street in the early 1920s. The builder used native stone, gathered from the Golden area. At that time, East Street was the main route from Denver to Golden. It was owned by Al Thuet, a Golden native. Mr. Thuet planted several varieties of evergreens around the property and had beautiful flower planters every summer.

Al Thuet Jr., son Larry, and father Alphonse Thuet Sr. from the July 21, 1955 Colorado Transcript

The business thrived for many years, and the Thuet family thrived with it. Mr. Thuet was active in the business community, Mrs. Thuet was active in women’s clubs, and their children went through the Golden schools. When Mr. Thuet’s father (Al, Sr.) retired after 47 years at Coors, he occasionally joined his son at the service station, as did the third generation, son Larry.

Phillips 66 station with three gas pumps and a portico in front, Castle Rock in the background
Oasis sold several types of gas over the years, including Shell, Standard, and Phillips 66. Golden History Museum collection

Al Thuet Jr. retired in 1957 and a different family took over the station. By that time, traffic had been rerouted to Ford and Jackson Streets, and East Street was no longer a main thoroughfare for motorists leaving or entering town. The new owners did not do well. In 1962, the business was listed by the county as owing $60.80 in delinquent taxes. I don’t know how long they stayed in business, but Oasis Service Station was never mentioned in the paper again. Mr. Thuet died in 1969 and was interred in Fort Logan.

Golden Auto Clinic – photo from Google Maps

Golden Auto Clinic has operated in that location since at least the 1980s.


The Golden Transcript (originally called the Colorado Transcript) has been publishing since 1866. The Golden History Museum has been working on digitizing the historic issues. You’ll find old Transcripts online at coloradohistoricnewspapers.org.

Highlights