Skip to content

Search the site

Looks like we’ll have another beautiful day in Golden.  Many of us will visit the Farmers Market, which will run from 8-1 this morning.  The tubers and kayakers will be out in force on Clear Creek.  The trails will have plenty of hikers and mountain bikers.  Downtown will be full of people eating, drinking, listening to music, and shopping.

A hundred years ago, in the summer of 1913, people in Golden were enjoying our two funicular railways.  The first, which opened in 1912, took passengers to the top of Lookout Mountain.  The second opened on the 3rd of July, 1913.  It carried people to the top of Castle Rock.  Once on Castle Rock, they could dance the night away at the Castle Rock resort.

Tomorrow afternoon at the Golden Library, Barb Warden will describe how we came to have two such railways in our small town, and why they both disappeared in less than a decade.  She will also be available to sign copies of her book, Funiculars of Golden Colorado.  The program, which will run from 1-2, is free and open to the public.  The library is located at 1019 10th Street.